Ontario Launches Campaign to Support Local Tourism SectorPublished on October 07, 2021
Rediscover Ontario encourages residents to safely explore their own communities this fall
MISSISSAUGA ― The Ontario government is investing $6 million in a campaign to help support the recovery of the local tourism sector. The campaign, designed by Destination Ontario, an agency of the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries, encourages Ontarians to safely rediscover the diversity of attractions and experiences that demonstrate Ontario offers the world in one province.
“Mississauga is home to many tourism attractions, offerings and experiences which provide important contributions to our communities, creating local jobs and boosting the local economy,” said Rudy Cuzzetto, MPP for Mississauga-Lakeshore. “That’s why this new marketing campaign is so important – it reminds us that there is an incredible community right outside our doorstep that we can safely explore and reconnect with.”
The new fall campaign, running from October 4 to November 14, 2021, is the second of three 2021-22 campaigns launched in cinema and on radio, digital, print and social media. The campaign promotes tourism activities in Ontario this fall and includes links to itineraries, articles and points of interest. People can follow the campaign on social media with the #RediscoverON hashtag.
“This campaign is a compelling reminder of our province’s rich and unique tourism offerings and will give a much-needed boost to a sector that has been among the hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Lisa MacLeod, Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries. “With its diverse experiences, natural beauty, vibrant arts and cultural scene and international cuisine, Ontario truly is the world in one province. I encourage everyone to plan their fall and winter getaways safely, adhering to COVID-19 protocols and take advantage of the abundant local travel possibilities and rediscover the world of Ontario.”
- Destination Ontario — an agency of the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries — works with tourism partners and colleagues worldwide to develop and deliver marketing programs that help to grow the province’s tourism sector.
- Destination Ontario’s social channels, which can be followed via @ontariotravel, promote local Ontario tourism, and highlight many unique communities across the province.
- Tourism plays a critical role in the Ontario economy. Prior to the pandemic, tourism generated more than $36 billion in economic activity and supported hundreds of thousands of jobs in Ontario.
- According to Statistics Canada’s Labour Force Survey, tourism‐related industries experienced a loss of 94,000 jobs between August 2019 and August 2021.
- Find out more information about Destination Ontario’s campaign or efforts to promote tourism in Ontario.
Office of Rudy Cuzzetto, MPP